Bradley Academy Museum
Time & Location
About the Event
Bradley Academy has the distinction of being the first school established in Rutherford County. The origin of Bradley Academy as an institution of learning stems from the Congressional Land Grant Act of 1806.
The original Bradley Academy building was a small log cabin school near Stones River, near the site of Old Jefferson, the original county seat. The Academy was located on land donated by John Bradley, a Revolutionary War officer; thus, the school name is derived from this benefactor.
Bradley Academy soon established itself as a well known institution of learning in the Middle Tennessee community. James K. Polk and John Bell would become some of the early scholars to attend Bradley Academy during this period of time.
In the late 1820s or early 1830s, a brick Bradley Academy was built. Bradley served as a hospital during the smallpox epidemic of 1836 and again during the Battle of Stones River in 1862.
In 1884, Bradley Academy became the first institution in the county to offer formal educational instructions for African American students.
visit http://www.bradleymuseum.com/ for more information.